Top listeners:

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
  • cover play_arrow


Traffic & Travel News

Driving law changes could see Britons require ‘green card’ to travel in Europe


share close

New law changes have been introduced which could see motorists required to apply for additional documents before travelling to Europe.

With the summer holidays just weeks away, thousands of Britons will be looking to travel abroad to soak up the sun and be with their family and friends.

The ongoing European Championships in Germany and the upcoming Olympic Games in France will see many Britons flock to Europe, with some going even further on holiday.

However, new rules could dampen their moods and require them to change their habits with extra insurance and even green cards.

Do you have a story you’d like to share? Get in touch by emailing[email protected]

Tesla towing a caravan

Drivers are advised to check towing rules before they travel abroad


Drivers need suitable motor insurance when driving abroad, with some countries requiring road users to carry a “green card” as proof of the insurance coverage.

The new rules outline that drivers will no longer need a green card to drive in Belarus, Iran and Russia.

However, under the new guidelines, motorists will now need to apply for a green card to drive in Montenegro.

This is the first update to the Government’s international road haulage guidance since March 2022, when drivers were no longer required to take a COVID-19 test to enter the UK.

Drivers will need a green card to drive in Albania, Azerbaijan, Israel, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine.

However, Britons do not need a green card to drive in the European Union (including Ireland), Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia or Switzerland.

When looking to travel to Europe, people will need a green card if they have fleet or multi-car insurance, with the document needed for each vehicle.

Similarly, if a Briton is looking to tow a trailer they will need a green card for the towing vehicle and another for the trailer or caravan.

An additional headache for drivers could come depending on which country they travel to as they may be required to have separate trailer insurance in some nations.

Motorists will be required to show their green cards if they are involved in an accident, at a police check or at the border when they enter or move between the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway.

This comes after new rules were introduced impacting motorists with International Driving Permits and where they were able to obtain them before travelling abroad.

As of April 1, drivers were no longer able to get an IDP at Post Office branches, with the documents exclusive to PayPoint locations around the UK.


\u200bAn International Driving Permit

IDP changes were formally unveiled in April


While not every country requires drivers to have an IDP, popular tourist destinations like Australia, Canada, Mexico and Turkey.

There are a further 140 countries where the permit is recommended for drivers to ensure they do not fall foul of any motoring laws.

Source link

Written by: radioroxi

Rate it

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *