play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

Listeners:

Top listeners:

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    RADIO ROXI TIMELESS TUNES

Sports News

Frankie Dettori cancels retirement from horse racing as reasons for U-turn revealed

today12/10/2023

Background
share close


Frankie Dettori has performed a U-turn and cancelled his retirement from horse racing.

The iconic jockey had planned to walk away from the sport at the end of this year but has now confirmed that won’t be happening.


“I am simply not ready to retire completely,” said the 52-year-old, who is one of the best the sport has ever seen.

“I’m still enjoying riding and want to carry on for a while on the international circuit.”

Frankie Dettori

Frankie Dettori had planned to retire from horse racing at the end of the year

GETTY

Dettori originally intended to leave horse racing behind after the last big international race of the year in Hong Kong in early December.

But after being unseated by Chaldean in the stalls at Newbury in April, he’s bounced back in spectacular fashion.

He has already ridden 28 winners this season and secured a massive £4.5 million in prize money from just 117 rides.

Some of his triumphs include the Golden Cup, the Oaks, the Jacques Le Marois and the Sun Chariot.

His impressive form is behind the U-turn, with Dettori feeling he still has much to offer.

The Telegraph also say Dettori is enticed by the idea of continuing to race in the US, too.

He is said to be inspired by Mike Smith, who continues to ride Grade One winners at the age of 58.

Dettori said in a statement: “I’ve had the most amazing career and head to British Champions Day with some brilliant rides (currently Courage Mon Ami, Kinross, King of Steel and Inspiral or Chaldean).

“This will mark my final day riding in Britain after which I will head to the Breeders’ Cup and Melbourne.”

He added: “The news is, after lots of speculation and talking to my wife and parents and close friends, I didn’t realise this year was going to end up like this, and so…I’m not ready to retire.

“I’ve still got it in me to carry on a bit longer.

“Obviously I’ve told everyone over the past year that I’d be staying my last goodbyes on the tracks.

“But I feel like I can do a bit more in the US.

“I had an absolutely amazing time there last winter.

“That’s it, basically.”

Track chief Aidan Butler is delighted that Dettori will be returning to Santa Anita in Los Angeles.

“When Frankie rang me up recently, I could tell by the tone of his voice, he wasn’t done riding yet,” he said.

“Just watching him ride and win all over the world this year has been such a treat for myself and all horseracing fans.

“Frankie started his career at Santa Anita when he was 16 and we’re thrilled to have him back for his final tour.

“Frankie won 20 races during last year’s Winter meet including three on the opening day on Dec 26.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:

Frankie Dettori

Frankie Dettori is one of the best jockeys of all time and has dominated horse racing over the years

GETTY

“So I’m looking forward to having Frankie back for Christmas dinner once again!”



Source link

Written by: radioroxi

Rate it

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0%